Public inquiry for Festival Republic event 2024 on Clapham Common
This page contains information about an upcoming public inquiry into the application by the London Borough of Lambeth for permission to erect temporary event fencing and structures at Clapham Common for the ‘Festival Republic’ event (August 2024).
1. Article 12 Application
The London Borough of Lambeth is applying to the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs for consent under Article 12 of the Greater London Parks and Open Spaces Order 1967 to carry out various works on Clapham Common. The Planning Inspectorate will decide the application on behalf of the Secretary of State.
The Planning Inspectorate application reference is COM/3312935.
The proposed works concern the creation of a temporary event site on Clapham Common for a ticketed public music and entertainment event produced by Festival Republic in summer 2024. Temporary fencing and event structures (including event stages, big top style tents, concession stands, toilets and welfare facilities, back of house cabins and plant enclosures) are proposed to be onsite for a duration of 19 days.
Public consultation on the application took place between 9 December 2022 and 6 January 2023.
The application will be considered at a public inquiry. Details of the public inquiry and how to participate are set out below. A decision on the application will be published by the Planning Inspectorate after the public inquiry.
2. Public inquiry
When is the public inquiry?
The Planning Inspectorate has scheduled the inquiry to open on Tuesday 13 June 2023 at 10:00 and continue on subsequent days as necessary. The inquiry will be held virtually. It will be hosted by the London Borough of Lambeth via MSTeams and will be livestreamed.
The Inspector appointed to decide this application is Mr Rory Cridland LLB (Hons), PG Dip, Solicitor.
The draft programme can be found here: Draft Programme
What is the role of the Planning Inspectorate?
The Planning Inspectorate is a Government executive agency responsible for certain planning related and specialist casework in England. This includes casework about applications for various permissions relating to common land.
Who are the main parties?
- The Applicant: Lambeth Borough Council, Civic Centre, 6 Brixton Hill, London SW2 1EG. Email: email@example.com
- The objectors: Those who made representations of objection to the Planning Inspectorate in response to the Applicant’s public notice and subsequently advised of a wish to speak; and
- Those who respond to the Planning Inspectorate’s Notice of Inquiry to advise of a wish to speak.
- The Planning Inspectorate anticipate publishing their Notice of Inquiry on the 21 April 2023. The notice will include details for attendance at the inquiry. A copy will also be posted here.
3. Observing and taking part in the inquiry
The inquiry will be held as a virtual event arranged by the Council and run by the Inspector.
Where and how will the inquiry take place?
As a virtual event, the inquiry will take place over the internet (or by telephone link for anyone without access to the internet) using Microsoft Teams, allowing those who want to participate to do so without the need to travel.
At present, the inquiry has been allocated 10 sitting days in order to hear from all those who may wish to speak. The current dates for the inquiry are Tuesday 13 – Friday 16th June, Mon 19th – Wed 21st June and Tues 27th – Thurs 29th June.
The inquiry is being live-streamed, and the viewing links are available below.
How do I observe or participate in the inquiry?
If you wish to watch the inquiry but not speak, you will be able to do so by following the links provided on this page.
If you wish to speak at the inquiry, you will first need to register your interest with the Council. If you wish to speak please email firstname.lastname@example.org making it clear this what you like to do, by no later than midday on Mon 12th June. Please indicate any days within the inquiry you are unable to speak. If you are unable to email, please call EventLambeth on 0207 926 6207.
Any questions about access to the inquiry can be raised with the Council now by emailing email@example.com.
Public Inquiry Viewing Links
To access the public inquiry viewing links, please visit https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/cclapublicinquiry
Notice of Inquiry and Statements of Cases
- Festival Republic – Clapham Common Notice of Inquiry
- London Borough of Lambeth – Statement of Case 190423
- London Borough of Lambeth – Summary Statement of Case
- Friends of Clapham Common Statement of Case
- Friends of Clapham Common – Summary Statement of Case
Proofs of Evidence
- Friends of Clapham Proofs of Evidence
- LBL main bundle index
- LBL main bundle with pagination
- KC appendices index
- KC appendices with pagination_Redacted
- LZ appendices index
- LZ appendices with pagination
Supplementary Core Documents
For additional supplementary core documents arising from day three onwards please visit https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/cclapublicinquiry
- LBL supplementary CD index
- LBL supplementary CD bundle paginated
- Updated supplementary core documents and updated index: day 1
- Updated supplemental CD index day 1
- CD1.06 LBL Appearances June 2023
- CD1.07 Lambeth BC, Clapham Common, Opening, 12 June 2023
- CD1.08 List of Appearances (FCC)
- CD1.09 Opening Submissions (FCC) 12.06.23
- CD13.00 Brockwell Park BBC News report
- CD13.01 Brockwell Park Evening Standard report
- CD13.02 Clapham Common cycle track committee report 1984
- CD14.00 FOI response dated 06 06 23_Redacted
- CD15.00 LVT map
- Updated supplementary core documents and updated index: day 2
Application Form Documents
- Clapham Common CLC Application (2) FR 2024 Summer Event – List of Supporting Documents (Dec2022)
- Clapham Common CLC App (2) – 2024 Summer Events – Letter confirming that advertisement requirements have been met (09DEC2022)
- Clapham Common – Register of Common Land
- Clapham Common – HEALTH AND SAFETY QUESTIONNAIRE (14 Oct 2022)
- Clapham Common – CLC App (2) 2024
- Clapham Common – CLC App (2) 2024 FR Event – Newspaper Notice Photograph 09DEC2022
- Clapham Common – Application for Common Land Consent (2) 2024 FR Summer Event – Letter to Consultees 09DEC2022
- Clapham Common – Application for CLC (2) Festival Republic Summer 2024 – Event Notice and Newspaper Ad FINAL
- 2022 List of Consultees – 09.12.2022 – Names
Site Plan and additional info
- Clapham Common Boundary and Buildings Map
- Clapham Common – CLC App (2) 2024 Summer Event – Section J Plan v1.0
- Clapham Common – CLC App (2) 2024 Summer Event – Event Site Plan
- Lambeth Events Strategy (2020)
- Lambeth Events Policy (2020)
- Lambeth ECOLOGY MANAGEMENT PLAN (2020)
- Lambeth Clapham Common Tree Strategy Final (2012)
- Lambeth Clapham Common Tree Strategy Appendices (2012)
- Lambeth Clapham Common Agrostics Report (Aug2022)
- Clapham Common Ecological Impact Assessment (JUL2018)
- Clapham Common Ecological Impact Assessment (2020)
- Clapham Common CLC Application (2) Festival Republic – Heritage Assessment with Appendices (JAN2022)
Further inquiry documents
- Clapham Common Sept 2021 NO. 1
- Clapham Common Nov 2021 NO. 2_Redacted
- Moonwalk Agronomy Aug 19 (2) MOONWALK_Redacted
Representations made to the Planning Inspectorate
Here is a link to redacted copies of representations that have been passed to the Council by the Planning Inspectorate: Representations made to the Planning Inspectorate.
The Planning Inspectorate has asked the Council to make these available online. Redactions of personal data have been made because of the Council’s GDPR responsibilities.
If you have made a representation and you would like it to appear online without redactions of personal data, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know. Any other questions or comments about the format of these representations should also be addressed to email@example.com.
If you have said that you wish to speak during the inquiry and you have submitted to the Planning Inspectorate a speaking note or other note of your points, after you have spoken, the text of your representation including your name (but with your email address and where you live redacted) will be made available on this website. This will be done as part of the updated supplemental core documents, which are being made available for each day under the heading ‘supplementary core documents’ above.