Street Parties

Street Parties are a wonderful tradition and a great way to get to know your neighbours and celebrate your local community.

Lambeth Council works with local communities to ensure that all street parties are safe and meet all the legal requirements around road closures and regulated entertainment.

This year we are offering Street Parties from June to September.

We work closely with our colleagues in Highways to review all requests for Street Party Road Closures. On occasion it is not possible to accommodate a request due to the other road closures in the area on the same day and the subsequent impact to the public highway. When this occurs, we work with organisers to find an alternative date.

Please do read the information on this page and our Frequently Asked Questions.


Street Parties taking place between

1 June to 28 July – application close 21 April – APPLY HERE

3 August to 29 September – application close 23 June – APPLY HERE



Traditional Street Party

How do we define a Street Party?

Is a residential get together on a single street.  There must be three named organisers who are over 18 and resident on the street to be closed (not from the same address)

– At least one of the named organisers is present for the duration of the Street Party

– Is not a public event and is only advertised directly to the residents on the street

– Is not profit making and the activities are not commercial

– Takes place on one day only between the hours of 10am and 7.30pm with the road being opened again to all traffic no later than 8pm

Some Street Parties do have commercial or licensable activity.  We refer to these as ‘Street Events’ and will work with the organisers more closely.  ‘Street Events’ will require public liability insurance and might incur costs for road closure and licensing for sale of alcohol and regulated entertainment. Please fill in the street party application form and detail all activity. We will contact you directly if your street party is a ‘street event’.

For larger and commercial events, please use our online events application form.

Traditional Street PartyWWI street Party


How to apply for a Street Party

Below we have pulled out the key steps you need to follow.

2022 Guidance on running a street party

Deadlines for applications are:

1 June to 28 July – applications close on midnight Sunday 21 April

3 August to 29 September applications close on midnight Sunday 23 June

1. Road Closure

There are some roads which cannot be closed for street parties.  Such as main roads or busy thoroughfares routes, bus routes or roads that provide access to other roads of which there is no alternative diversion route.  Furthermore on a weekend if there are other road closures in the area it might not be possible to close your road as well.  This will be a decision made by our Highways team to ensure there is clear diversion routes in and around road closures.  This is critical for emergency vehicles especially.

Please submit your application and if there is an issue we will get in touch and discuss this with you.

  1. Consultation

The organisers are required to contact all residents in the street to tell them about the plans for the Street Party.  If a resident on your street has concerns, then it is through this process that organisers can find out what the concerns are and work together to find a solution.

Here is a link to an example consultation log you might like to consider using.

  1. Application

We process applications in batches depending on the month of your event.  It takes up to 6 weeks to complete the processes internally across all the departments.

  1. Assessment

Once you have submitted your application form the Events work with colleagues in the Highways Team to assess your application.

  1. Confirmation

Once we have assessed the application and ensured the road closure can take place, we will contact you via email to confirm the street party can go ahead.  We aim to let you know within 14 days of the application being submitted.

  1. Traffic Notice, Road Closed Signs and Barriers

About 2 weeks before your street party Lambeth Council will place street notices on lamp posts and act as a formal notice that the road will be closed on the day of your street party.

You are required to have chapter 8 compliant Road Closed signs and barriers.  You can hire these through the council at a cost of £100.  Lambeth Council will then arrange for our Highways contractor to supply these on our behalf.  The cost of the hire is subsidised by Lambeth Council and is paid to the contractors.

Find out more about the signage requirements and other ways to source them.

  1. Further information and links

You can find out more about running street parties here.