With some of our usual outlets for exercise curtailed in recent months (anyone else missing the chance to go for a swim?) and many having to stay indoors to look after others or protect themselves we wanted to bring you some ideas of ways to keep fit while indoors or maintaining social distancing. As we are not experts in this field (though we do know a lot about fields) we spoke to our lovely colleagues in the Lambeth Sports team to find out what they’d advise people to try. Below are a selection of different ways to keep fit inside and outside of the house! Hopefully there is something for everyone,
- Sport England Join the Movement page is full of links to activities people can do at home. https://www.sportengland.org/jointhemovement#get_active_at_home
- The NHS Active 10 is an app which encourages you to do 10 minutes of exercise a day- did you know that even walking briskly counts! https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/active10/home
- The NHS Couch to 5k a classic! Some of the Events Team have been giving it a go with varying degrees of success. Some of us have downloaded the app (that counts right?), while others are racing around the streets of Lambeth! When you get to the 5K don’t forget there are the fabulous free Parkruns in Brockwell Park and Clapham Common. https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/couch-to-5k-week-by-week/
- Another offer from the NHS – Strength and Flex exercise plan this is a 5-week plan consisting of a series of equipment-free exercises designed to improve strength and flexibility https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/strength-and-flex-exercise-plan/
- And finally if the above haven’t already exhausted you enough Love to Ride https://www.lovetoride.net/uk is starting Bike month in June to encourage people to #choosecycling.
Let us know how you get on!