Notice for Article 12 Application
2023 Spring and Summer Events
The London Borough of Lambeth is applying to the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs for consent under Article 12 of the Greater London Parks and Open Spaces Order 1967 to carry out restricted works on Clapham Common. The Planning Inspectorate will decide the application on behalf of the Secretary of State.
The proposed works are for the creation of temporary event sites on Clapham Common for a series of public entertainment, leisure and recreational sporting events in 2023. Temporary fencing and event structures (including event stages, marquees, funfair rides, concession stands, event gantries, gazebos, toilets and welfare facilities, back of house cabins and plant enclosures) will be onsite for the events for a total duration of 122 days in 2023.
The fencing and structures will be located on the following areas of the common:
- The area referred to as ‘Event Site’ located at the northeast of Clapham Common accessible from Long Road. (Luna Cinema, Moonwalk, Oktoberfest)
- Area between Long Pond and Windmill Drive located at the east of Clapham Common. (Colourscape)
- Using the gravel Redgra sports pitches on the west side of the common, adjacent to the A205. (CRUK Race for Life, Pretty Muddy)
- Area referred to as ‘Funfair Site’ located on the west of Clapham Common, west of Mount Pond. (Run Through races, George Irvin’s Funfair)
- Clapham Common ‘Southside Site’ located at the south of Clapham Common bordered by Clapham Common Southside, Nightingale Lane, Nightingale Walk & the Avenue. (British Heart Foundation London to Brighton Bike Ride / Skyline Bike London to Brighton Bike Ride)
- Heras style fencing will be a maximum of 700 metres in length for each onsite event. The heras style fencing will be a maximum of 2 metres in height. For some events, 1.1 meter high pedestrian barriers (crowd control barriers) will make up a section of the event site or area of fence line. The fencing will enclose the temporary event sites safely and will include public and staff entrances, including fire exits.
Please note this application for Common Land Consent does not cover the 2024 Festival Republic Summer event, which is the subject of a separate application for Common Land Consent on Clapham Common, which will be known as Application (2).
Electronic copies of the application form and supporting documents will be made available to view online from Lambeth Council at the website address: https://eventlambeth.co.uk/news/
A paper copy of the application form and supporting documents may be obtained by writing to the Council’s below postal address or email address at firstname.lastname@example.org
The application form and documents will be available until Friday 23rd December 2022.
Any representations to the Planning Inspectorate should be sent by email ON or BEFORE that date to: email@example.com
Representations sent to the Planning Inspectorate cannot be treated as confidential. They will be copied to the applicant and potentially other interested parties. To find out more about how the Planning Inspectorate uses and manages personal data, please go to the privacy notice.
EventLambeth, London Borough of Lambeth, Lambeth Town Hall, Brixton Hill, SW2 1RW
Application form documents
Site plan and additional information
- Clapham Common – Register of Common Land
- Clapham Common Boundary and Buildings Map
- Clapham Common Regular Event Areas Map (Nov2022)
- Döppelgangers Oktoberfest in the Common 2023
- 2. Moonwalk2023 Site Plan
- 3. CRUK – Clapham Race for Life and Pretty Muddy 2023 Site Plan
- Clapham Common CLC App(1) Section J Plan – 2023 Events (Nov 2022)
- 1+12 George Irvin’s Funfair 2023 Site Plan
- 3. CRUK Race for Life 2023 Course Map
- 4. London to Brighton (British Heart Foundation) 2023 Site Plan
- 7. Luna Cinema 2023 Site Plan
- 8. Clapham Colourscape 2023 Site Plan
- 5+6+11 Run Through 5k 10k 2023 Site Plan
- 9. L2B23 (Skyline Events) Clapham 2023 Site Plan
- Clapham Common CLC Application 1 – List of Supporting Documents (Nov2022)
- Clapham Common CLC 2022 Spring Summer Events – Heritage Assessment with Appendices FEB2022
- Clapham Common Ecological Impact Assessment (2020)
- Clapham Common Ecological Impact Assessment (JUL2018)
- Clapham Common CLC (App1) 2023 Events Details (Nov2022)
- Lambeth Clapham Common Agrostics Report (Aug2022)
- Lambeth Clapham Common Tree Strategy Appendices (2012)
- Clapham Common Event Sites Programme – 2023 Events
- Lambeth ECOLOGY MANAGEMENT PLAN (2020)
- Lambeth Events Policy (2020)
- Lambeth Events Strategy (2020)